Thursday, January 21, 2010

Times of Refressing -- Acts 3

Life is hectic for most people. Here in America we regularly display our ability to over schedule our day, so no matter what when the day has run its course we still feel we need to do more. Mix this business with with the general chaos which accompanies this thing called humanity and you have one stress producing mess. Stress produces several things in humanity, included in this is sin. When we experience high levels of stress it is easy to make poor choices with our time. Then we heap guilt onto the pile of life. It can all seem overwhelming.

Peter in Acts 3 instructs the crowd to turn from your sins and turn to God, so you can be cleansed of your sin. It would be easy to stop reading there, however the next verse is beyond important in our chaotic, over scheduled lives. "Then wonderful times of refreshment will come from the presence of the Lord...". I don't know about you, but I could use some times of refreshing. Life moves at a pretty high pace, and I just plain get tired. I crave times when I can rest in the presence of the Lord and experience refreshing.

Now there are somethings I must do to experience this refreshing. I must first turn from my sins. This is more than forgiveness, this is stopping them. Then I must turn to God. So not just avoiding sin, but turning the the source of life. Once I do that then in the presence of the Lord I will find the refreshing I crave. All too often I seek the refreshing without doing my part. I simply want to feel the release without the turning. As long as I am living life on my terms the refreshing will not come.

Take time today to get with your God. First, turn from the sin in your life. Second, turn to God. Last enjoy the time of refreshing in the presence of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment