Monday, July 27, 2009

Galatians 2 -- To Be Crucified

Contained in what we call Galatians 2 are found some of the more famous words of Paul, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me, The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself up for me." v .20. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard that said to me, or sung in a song. But what does it mean to be crucified with Christ?

If we are crucified we are dead. No longer do we live. The greatest struggle of my live is there is too much of me living my life. When we are crucified with Christ, our identity is not longer with ourselves, rather it is found in Christ alone. It means our desires, hopes and dreams do not matter. Only the desires, hopes and dreams given to us by God through Christ matter.

When we live apart from our crucifixion, we make Christ out to be a liar and his sacrifice to be in vain. If we can gain righteousness on our own, then we do not need Christ. To be crucified means that we recognize it is Christ and Christ alone who brings life, and that our only life is found in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment