Tuesday, October 20, 2009

2 Thessalonians 3 -- Cruise Control

One of the most important features on a car for me is cruise control. I can get my motor running, get out on the highway and look for adventure without worrying about getting a speeding ticket. All I must do is set the speed and forget about it. Paul is warning the Thessalonian church about doing this in their life journey. We are not to simply sit around and revel in the glory of being followers of Jesus, we are to do the work Christ showed us to do.

This does not simply mean being busy for the Lord, it means not being idle for the Lord. Not setting the cruise control and going through the motions until the ride is over. Not being idle is not just about taking action it is about taking the right actions. It is real easy to allow our faith to become stagnant, not developing into a deeper relationship with Jesus. As followers of Jesus the love shown to us in Christ Jesus should be making all the difference in how we live our lives. Works of mercy, compassion and grace should not be a specialized activity, rather it should be the way our lives are known by others. This is not accomplished in cruise control.

Cruise control is great in the car, it is tragic in life. My pick up truck does not have cruise control, I have to pay more attention to what I am doing. I cannot simply go through the driving motions, I must actually be responsive to what is going on around me. Perhaps it is time to remove the cruise control from your life, and pay attention to what is going on around you. Perhaps it is time to become and active participant in the journey rather than letting it simply happen to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment