Monday, May 18, 2009

Luke 17 -- Life

So much of our lives is in pursuit of our own well being and recognition. We work hard to get ahead so someday we won't have to work as hard, so we can enjoy life. We toil to gain the pleasures of this world and we expect to receive them. In Luke 17, Jesus flips things around. He says when we work hard, we should acknowledge we are servants of God and anything we receive for our effort is a gift not an obligation. Further, Jesus shares once again that counter cultural phrase, if you work to gain your life you will lose it, but if you lose your life for Christ you will gain it.

Many of us live self made lives. Very easily we lose sight of the fact that God is the one who is at work and we are simply making ourselves available to God for whatever work we are called to. It is God working through us. I like many people enjoy seeing my name in the lights, and print, but I am learning this is not what matters, Jesus is what matters.

That to me is the struggle of losing our lives. What we get, what we think we deserve really does not matter. It is not important if I get ahead of someone else or they get ahead of me. What matters is Jesus. Am I living life in such a way that the Kingdom Jesus declared is being seen in me? Rather than a poster, my life should be a reflection. People should be able to look at my life and not see me, but see Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment