Thursday, May 21, 2009

Luke 20 -- Questions

Luke 20 seems to be a collection of accounts where Jesus was challenged by the religious leaders. Repeatedly Jesus is questioned, and the questions are generated to trap him. Can you imagine asking questions trying to trick or trap Jesus? It seems crazy. Yet I cannot help but wonder how often I attempt the very thing.

I don't know about you, but there are many times when I try to get Jesus to act the way I want Jesus to act. Every attempt is made to create Jesus in my image of what Jesus should be rather than me transforming to the image of Jesus. That is exactly what the religious people of Jesus' day were doing. They had an expectation of who the Messiah would be and what that Messiah would do. Jesus was not meeting either one according to the religious plan.

Rather than simply telling the religious leaders to give up, Jesus seems to play with them by asking them questions in return. Often we feel we are not getting answers from God, only more questions. Perhaps it is because we are asking questions with an incorrect focus. The return questions from God are intended to re-focus our lives on what is most important. Questions are not the enemy of a vibrant faith. When we have answers and we stop seeking for better questions, our faith begins to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment