Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Revelation 17 -- The Woman

As we quickly move toward the end of John's vision the images take the opportunity to get a little more strange. This time they are so strange John is astonished. This is kind of comical to me when you take into account all he has seen and encountered. The woman he sees is not given the best or nicest titles given to a woman, Mystery, Babylon the Great, The mother of prostitutes, and of the Abominations of the earth. Wow, those are not exactly things to put on your business card. I think we get the picture this is not a good woman. Just in case we are not sure we are told she is drunk on the blood of the saints.

We know this image is more figurative than literal, not because we are really smart but because we are told what these things mean. Basically we are told the woman and all the heads and horns represent earthly kingdoms who will come and go before the final day. Additionally it is clear the last two are directly tied to Satan. In the last days all these kings, the woman and the beast will war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will overcome. Before it is all said and done the beast and the kings will turn on the woman and destroy her. This is the image of what will happen on earth before the final reckoning.

So what does that have to do with you and I today? Honestly, I am not sure, but it does not change the question we have asked all through Revelation, are you ready? I do not know if we will be witness to such visions, nor do I think we are to know that now. It seems obvious to me that I want to be on the side of the Lamb and not the side of the beast. This is a decision I get to make now, today. I once again commit my life to following after Jesus Christ. He is more than Savior, he is Lord, leader of my life. Provider of hope. Deliverer of Peace. Source of all Love. My everything. Perhaps you can offer the prayer of your life as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment